Two pets are killed following 9/11 fire in Waynesboro

18 September 2023- Monday, September 11th was a busy day for firefighters around Franklin County as both Waynesboro and Chambersburg personnel are called to numerous calls.

First Responders in Chambersburg were called to 653 Lincoln Way West in the Borough for a report of a fire at a business. When crews got to the location they found a fire in office area. While nobody was harmed, investigators say that the office suffered minor fire damage. The incident looked to happen as a “heat source” was introduced into an office garbage can which ignited a number of rags. Those rags had previously been used to clean up a gasoline spill.

In Waynesboro, crews were called around 9am to a home on Harrison Avenue in the Borough for a kitchen fire. Fire crews found major fire damage to the kitchen after an apparent incident on or in the stove. Minor fire damage was also found throughout the home. While there were no injuries to humans, fire investigators say that two pets “expired” as a result of the fire.