05 June 2023- Sen. Doug Mastriano (R-33) will host State Working Animal Appreciation Day on Tuesday, June 6, with animal demonstrations beginning at 10 a.m. and a noon news conference at the intersection of Commonwealth Avenue and Soldiers Grove at the Capitol.
Mastriano, who serves as chairman of the Senate Veterans Affairs and Emergency Preparedness Committee, is working with Senate colleagues and the Pennsylvania State Working Animal Foundation to recognize the police and military K-9s; search and rescue dogs and horses; service dogs and therapy animals that work for people.
Animal demonstrations will include:
- 10 a.m. – The Capitol Police
- 10:30 a.m. – Life Changing Service Dogs for Veterans
- 11 a.m. – Penn Vet Working Dog Center
Speakers at the noon news conference will include:
- Sen. Mastriano
- Pennsylvania state Sen. Katie Muth (D-44), Democrat chair of the Senate Veterans Affairs and Emergency Preparedness Committee
- Pennsylvania State Working Animal Foundation President Terri Heck
The event will feature a special appearance by K-9 Detective Briggs, a dog that has worked with the Pennsylvania Game Commission, local police departments, the U.S. Marshal and Secret Service agencies, and the FBI. Briggs is credited with assisting in the apprehension of arson and armed robbery suspects.
The PA Dairymen’s Association Milkshake on the Moove Truck will sell milkshakes for $6 with proceeds benefitting agricultural scholarships, youth programs and educational programs across the commonwealth.