05 June 2023- The Franklin County Commissioners are pleased to announce the 2023 recipients of the county’s nursing scholarship program. Six area high school graduates will each receive a one-time $2,500 scholarship to pursue a career in nursing.
Since 2017, the scholarship program has provided financial assistance to 42 Franklin County high school seniors pursuing a bachelor’s degree in nursing. Scholarships are funded by proceeds from the 2013 sale of the county nursing home.
Students receiving scholarships this year are:
- Joey Booze, a graduate of Fannett Metal High School, who will be attending Penn State Mont Alto University;
- Jennifer Glodin, a graduate of Chambersburg Area Senior High School, who will be attending Penn State Mont Alto University;
- Zelie Musolino, a graduate of Waynesboro Area Senior High School, who will be attending Catholic University of America;
- Kali Smith, a graduate of Waynesboro Area Senior High School, who will be attending Penn State Mont Alto University;
- Alaina Warner, a graduate of Waynesboro Area Senior High School, who will be attending West Virginia University; and
- Sierra Witmer, a graduate of James Buchanan High School, who will be attending Penn State Mont Alto University
“We are grateful to play a small part in educating the next generation of healthcare professionals through this scholarship program,” said Franklin County Commissioner Chairman Dave Keller. “Area hospitals and healthcare facilities continue to voice their need for skilled nurses. Our hope is that these scholarship recipients will choose to put their nursing skills and education to good use right here at home in caring for and serving Franklin County residents.”
Applicants must submit an essay briefly indicating their short- and long-term goals pertaining to nursing school, along with a scholarship application, an official high school transcript and three letters of reference, including one from their high school guidance counselors. Students must have a minimum GPA, participate in both extracurricular and community service activities, and demonstrate a financial need for the scholarship.
Elyse Fisler, Chief Nursing Officer for WellSpan’s Chambersburg and Waynesboro hospitals, and Monica Diehl, Chief Nursing Officer of Keystone Health, assisted the Franklin County Human Resources department in selecting this year’s recipients. There were nine eligible applicants for the 2023 scholarship.
Applications for the Franklin County Nursing Scholarship are available in the first quarter of each year. For more information, contact the Franklin County Human Resources Department at 717-261-3150 or visit www.franklincountypa.gov.