Halloween & Your Pet

CHAMBERSBURG – If you want to keep your furry friends out of the pet ER this Halloween, then avoid feeding them these foods:

• Pumpkin pie mix, which is hard to digest. Plain canned pumpkin is okay, though
• Sugary candies can cause diarrhea and dehydration
• Sugar-free treats containing xylitol, which can cause liver toxicity and a dangerous change in sugar levels
• Chocolate could contain high levels of chemicals harmful to your cat or dog

Consumer Affairs pet specialists say if your pet eats something toxic, get it to the vet immediately. You can also call the Pet Poison Helpline at 855-764-7661 for an $85 incident fee and they will help you know if you can treat your pet at home or if you need to seek additional help.
Source: Vets at Trusted Housesitters