14 August 2023- The Washington County Department of Business and Economic Development is delighted to announce that nominations for the prestigious 2023-2024 Washington County Farm of the Year are now being accepted.
Designed to recognize and honor the rich agricultural heritage embedded in Washington County, the Farm of the Year Award application is open to all farms primarily located in the County on five or more acres of land. Applications must be submitted by Friday, September 22, 2023.
To qualify, entrants must meet the following criteria:
- Operate a farm or agricultural business or know a farm or agricultural business primarily located in Washington County, Maryland.
- Include the principal farm operator/owner and the farm must be on at least five acres of agriculturally zoned land and have been in business for a minimum of five years.
- Complete and submit an application by September 22, 2023
- Be available for judging September 25-29, 2023
- Attend an awards ceremony in October 2024 to be recognized by the Washington County Board of County Commissioners (the specific date will be determined later).
Judging will take place from September 25-29. Criteria categories will have a total of 350 points and include:
|50 Points||Community Involvement|
|50 Points||Dedication to agriculture|
|25 Points||Farm visit|
|25 Points||Proficiency in agriculture production|
|25 Points||Planning for the next generation|
|25 Points||Application submission|
|25 Points||Judges discretion points|
The Washington County Department of Business and Economic Development will recognize one outstanding farm and farm family that exemplifies the rich heritage of farming in Washington County. The award ceremony will take place in October 2024.
The prestigious award not only celebrates excellence in agriculture but also aims to foster a deeper understanding of the challenges and triumphs faced by today’s farmers. We are committed to supporting and promoting the invaluable contributions of our farming community.