Sunday, June 6th, is:
- D-Day – when American, Canadian and British forces storm the coastline of Normandy, France during World War II in 1944. Photo credit www.americadday.org
- Drive-In Movie Day – The first patented drive-in movie theater opened in New Jersey on this day in 1933.
- Cancer Survivors Day – A celebration of life for those who have survived, an inspiration for those recently diagnosed with cancer.
June 6th Birthdays
- Slayer singer/bassist Tom Araya turns 60
- Korn guitarist James “Munky” Shaffer is 52
- Lacuna Coil singer Cristina Scabbia is 49
- Guitarist Steve Vai is 61
- The 1975 bassist Ross MacDonald is 32
- Tiger King‘s Carole Baskin is 60
- Pro wrestler Drew McIntire is 36
- Actor Robert Englund, who played Freddy Krueger in A Nightmare on Elm Street, is 74
- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins is 29
Remembering June 6th
- 1968 U.S. Senator Robert F. Kennedy, age 42
- 2016 MMA fighter Kimbo Slice, age 42
June 6th in History
- 1944 Operation Overlord: D-Day begins as the 156,000-strong Allied Expeditionary Force lands in Normandy, France, during World War II
- 1944 World War II: All Major League Baseball games are canceled in honor of the D-Day landings in northern France.
- 1962 The Beatles meet their producer George Martin for the first time.
- 1965 The Rolling Stones release single “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction”.
- 1968 Senator Robert F. Kennedy dies from his wounds after he was shot the previous night.
- 1969 Joe Namath resigns from the NFL.
- 1972 David Bowie releases his breakthrough album The Rise & Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars.
- 1991 NBC announces Jay Leno will succeed Johnny Carson as host of The Tonight Show.
- 2001 20 of Elton John’s automobiles sell at auction for $2.75 million.
- 2018 LeBron James eclipses Michael Jordan’s record (109) for most 30-point games in NBA playoff history