CFD respond to morning fire in on Grandview Avenue

12 January 2023- At 8:36 a.m., the Chambersburg Fire Department was alerted to 75 Grandview Avenue,  Ray’s Mini Mart, for a reported building fire. While units were responding, Franklin County  dispatch advised that the caller stated that there was heavy smoke coming from the eves of the  building. At 8:38 a.m., Chief Ulrich arrived on the scene to find a one-story, commercial  building, with smoke coming from the roof and eves of all side of the building.  

Initial crews rapidly deployed hand lines and began interior fire suppression efforts.  Upon entry, firefighters found the fire was in the attic area of the building and had not extended  into the primary sales floor area. Crews quickly contained and extinguished the fire and the scene was marked under control at 9:04 a.m.  

Due to the origin of the fire, crews remained on the scene removing the ceiling and  wetting down the affected area. No fire fighter or civilian injuries occurred. The initial cause of  the fire appears to be caused by faulty electrical equipment; Preliminary estimates of damage are  approximately $400,000.00. At the time of the fire, the business was closed and was set to open at 9 a.m. 

A total of 27 personnel were on the scene. Companies that responded were as follows:  Chambersburg Fire Department, Franklin Fire Department, Fayetteville Fire Department, Marion Fire Department, Letterkenny Fire Department, New Franklin Fire Department, West End Fire and Rescue, St. Thomas Fire Department, Vigilant Hose Company (Shippensburg) and  PennState EMS. 

The business will remain closed due to the extensive damage. Chambersburg electric  department assisted on the scene. Crews cleared the scene at 10:35 a.m.